Posted on October 13, 2010 by Dennis Sadowski
The devastated St. Francis de Sales Hospital hosted its final event today: a Mass to say goodbye and remember the 70 people who died when a wing housing the pediatric unit collapsed during the Jan. 12 earthquake.
Bishop Joseph Lafontant, apostolic administrator of the Archdiocese of Port-au-Prince, and Archbishop Bernardito Auza, papal nuncio, concelebrated the Mass on the grounds of the crumpled facility.
Plans call for building a modern 200-bed facility on the site, said Anna Van Rooyen, chief of party, health and HIV for Catholic Relief Services. She is working with the hospital staff in the rebuilding effort.
Plans call for construction to begin some time after the first anniversary of the quake and take at least 18 months, Van Rooyen told CNS.
Despite sustaining serious damage, St. Francis de Sales Hospital remained open and its staff accepted patients immediately after the earthquake. Gallant staff members treated seriously injured patients under harsh conditions in tents set up in an outdoor courtyard for months. Equipment and beds were salvaged from what was left standing.
The hospital closed last month so it could move to a temporary location in Cazeau, north of the international airport and about 12 miles from the old facility in the center of the Haitian capital. Still working under tents, but in a more orderly setting, the staff is treating up to120 patients at any one time.
Filed under: CNS | Comments Off on Mass closes Port-au-Prince hospital damaged in earthquake
Posted on October 13, 2010 by Carol Zimmermann
Our Oct. 8 story
on the concert-drama “Defiant Requiem: Verdi at Terezin
” has a few side notes which deserve mention. Although the language of Giuseppe Verdi’s “Requiem” — primarily a funeral Mass — was unfamiliar to the Jewish concentration camp prisoners who performed it more than 16 times while in the Nazi prison camp in Terezin, Czeckoslovakia, in 1943-44, they knew exactly what the words of the choral work meant — thanks to a young translator.
Conductor Murry Sidlin leads rehearsal of 'Requiem' at former Nazi camp. (CNS photo from CUA)
Murry Sidlin, who is former dean of the music school at The Catholic University of America and the creator and conductor of “Defiant Requiem,” told Catholic News Service that the choir was singing what they couldn’t say to their captors and giving hope to fellow prisoners — and all from a Latin text. The prisoners had insight into these Latin phrases about liberation and God’s judgment, because of a teenage girl in the camp who had converted to Catholicism and was familiar with Latin. According to Sidlin, the young girl met with the camp’s conductor, Rafael Schaechter, to provide the translation of the work. She survived the camps and went on to become a Carmelite nun. She died a few years ago.
Another note: Verdi’s “Requiem” — honoring the famous novelist and poet Alessandro Manzoni, who died in 1873 — was first performed in Milan in 1874. Sidlin suspects that Verdi — “the political animal he was” — would have been honored that his work found new life in rehearsals in the dark basement at a concentration camp and the multiple public performances there.
“If he knew they had reached out to his work from a concentration camp, he would be on bended knees in tears with humility,” said Sidlin, who has made it part of his life’s work to give credit to this group of singers and their conductor for fighting their captivity with music.
Filed under: CNS | Comments Off on Teen provided translation for Verdi’s ‘Requiem’